Old August 24th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

Default Strange landing at SJC

"Mike" wrote in message
"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

I checked the approach audio too - at about 24min 20sec of this
recording some guy says something about "we've lost a receiver", but I
can't make the rest. Here's the audio (don't forget to scroll to the
24:20 mark!):

http://avtanski.net/images/var/KSJC-...2008-2130Z.mp3

What's this about? Just curious...

FAA flight check uses NAV receivers in the back of the plane coupled to a
computer that checks the ILS equipment. They could have had some type of
glitch in the middle of a run which would require them to do the last run
over. That's my guess.

FAA flight check has numerous planes. They have a few Lear 35s, but most
of their planes are King-Airs. All of them have 2 digit N numbers.

I used to watch the FAA conduct check flights at TEB and at other times at
SJC. They oftentimes made several runs at the approach NAVAID...on coarse
and at the limit instrument deviation. I don't know exactly what their plan
was but it was more than 1 pass.