Old May 1st 04, 05:27 PM
Steve

(Hank Nixon) wrote in message

I used to wash mine with very soapy water solution and let it dry on
front 1/3 of wing. This would allow water to wet out and flow off
wing. Good for about 10 minutes in the rain.
Good Luck UH

I have heard of people doing this. Has anyone tried that new car
washing stuff I have seen advertised on TV? Says it makes it so you
will never have to dry your car again. The water sheets up and runs
off. Dries without spotting. Sounds ideal for those of us flying the
ole 67K 150/170 sectioned gliders.

I have wanted to run a test by flying in a balast dump trail. Prepare
a test section of wing and fly in the dumped ballast. Do a visual
comparison of the standard and prepped sections. I have seen the
dreaded "wall of water" that forms on the top of the wing. Not sure
if it is more depressing to see it on a 15 meter wing, or a 22 meter
wing, though. ;-)

And I don't know if it was just the rain, or some sink, too. But I
was on a 40 mile or so final glide in my Zuni with an ASW-20. GPS
tracks showed neck and neck until I flew through a small shower. He
made it home, and I landed 6 miles short. He said he didn't get wet,
and looks to have been less than half a mile to my side and a bit
behind. A year or so previous, that same 20 was out ahead of me on a
final glide. He found sink and claimed picked up a headwind. Landed
about 6 miles short. I started for home a couple of turns after him
and a bit behind, and made it home. I guess what comes around goes
around.

Steve Leonard
Zuni II (15 meters worth of water spoiler)
604 (22 meters worth of water spoiler)