Old November 9th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Don't sweat it Jay. Getting the same level of friendly service and
conversation that you and Mary provide at the Inn is very hard to come by.

Even if you hadn't planned on buying fuel (for Atlas), I would have gave him
a happy "No problem, thanks for letting us use the van, we'll tell all our
friends that you don't expect them to fill it with gas and by the way, let
your fuel guy know that we cancelled our fuel request." Then simply left,
letting him wonder how much you might have purchased.

The charter pilots that rub me raw are the ones that act like little tin
gods pretending that "they" have the sole decision making ability whether to
fly into a particular airport and or refuel at that airport. Most that I've
watched have had to call in and report the fuel price to someone who
actually gives them the approval. I doubt if that person gives a crap
whether the FBO has a courtesy car, a vending machine, or a bush to ****
behind, but the pilots put on an air that the FBO owes them special courtesy
because their company "might" buy some fuel. In my mind, these pilots earn
less of an FBO's appreciation than GA pilots. GA pilots usually have the
decision making ability and can choose to take their business elsewhere. I
understand that in cities or areas with multiple airports or at airports
with multiple FBO's, this might not be the case.

Another observation that I've made is that the most arrogant attitudes seem
to be expressed by the younger charter pilots. I've seen some older charter
pilots literally bend over backwards for their customers, play chauffer with
the rental car for them, offer extra food, soda, and even beer to the local
airport bumbs, even offer tours of their front offices. I've never seen any
of these actions exhibited by the young guns. Again, this is just my
observation and I'm sure it isn't the case everywhere.

Jim