Old December 19th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Default question on VOR intersections

Airnav has the info:

http://www.airnav.com/airspace/fix/

Skywise wrote:
First off, I'm a sim enthusiast. But I try to make my sim
flying as realistic as possible. Besides, getting my ticket
is still on my to-do list... some day.

Lately I've been practicing navigation. It's too easy in
a 747 with an FMS computer, so I'm putting around in a 172
and getting around with VOR's and ADF's. Add some clouds...
at night... weeeeeeee

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

Say I'm navigating between intersections. I can use the GPS to
fly direct to these positions. However, it seems to me that,
since intersections are exactly that, an intersection of
radials from two or more VOR's, using this information makes
a good backup in case the GPS goes south. Redundancy,
redundancy, and more redundancy.

But looking at the sectional charts, it's not always readily
apparent what the exact radials are. Sure, I could break out
the straight edge and get a rough idea. But I would think that
since their positions are officially defined by someone (FAA?)
there would be a precise definition somewhere.

I've googled and looked on the FAA website, but either it
doesn't exist, or I don't know the right search terms.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?

Brian

--
Don Poitras