Old December 20th 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default question on VOR intersections

(Edward A. Falk) wrote in news:jcp584$re3$1@blue-
new.rahul.net:

Thank you much for the explanation. Turns out I've intuited
pretty much most of this procedure. It just makes sense.

For flight simulator programs, there won't be an ATC to give you a
flight plan, so you just wing it.

Actually, the flight sims do have ATC. X-Plane allows me to
file flight plans using anything but SIDs and STARs.

They're not perfect, though. Recently, for instance, (I fly
around LA), I took off from KFUL on rwy 6 and was told to turn
to 350. This fit my flight plan as my intent was to intercept
V16 to my north, then head 256 to my first waypoint at the LAX
vortac. But then ATC told me to turn to course 070. huh?????
Well, I did, figuring it had some reason. After a couple minutes
I was then given "own navigation" so I proceeded to turn back
around to go the right way and get back on V16. At that point
the ATC kept barking at me for being "off course." I finally
had to cancel IFR to get it to shut up!!! hahaha

Well, version 10 just came out, so it's got a few bugs yet. If
I find repeatable errors I file bug reports.

BTW, X-Plane is less 'game' and more simulator. It's written
by pilots and aeronautical engineers. The program can be used
to make FAA certified simulators.

BTW, thank you everyone for the help. Someday I hope to join
you all in the air. Been a dream for twenty+ years now and I
haven't given up. Just haven't got all the ducks lined up yet.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?