Old January 8th 13, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default USA 2013 Proposed Competition Rules Changes Available

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:30:32 AM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:41*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:

I also totally agree with Evan. *I still prefer the old 50' finish line over the airport - a totally out-the-cockpit visual finish that was exciting and lots of fun - both to fly and watch. *Dangerous? Yes - if you didn't do it right. *But so is landing, apparently, judging by the frequency of pattern accidents!

I understand the pressure the RC is under to make our sport safe, and most of the changes are good, but we run the risk of ending up with a safe sport that nobody bothers to participate in.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for any finish gates, however - just like an all-AT contest...

Kirk

66

Guys,

The finish gate is not gone. I like (and prefer) the finish gate.

However I believe (you may not) that there are times when it is

appropriate for a race to not end at a finish gate, hence the

cylinder. As an aside, you can nail your final glide much closer with

a cylinder finish without risking your neck. After all, passing

through a gate and making a circuit slows you down.

QT

No problem with the cylinder where it's indicated. Perry regional with 65 gliders is a good example of where it's clearly indicated. Problem is with 700 foot patch job that doesn't address more fundamental and dangerous issue.

T8

PS: my other problem is that I'm not going to be present to watch HW's reaction when he hears/reads about this :-).