View Single Post
Old March 13th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Flying Condor at Mifflin

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:31:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
As others have noted, the USNS series has done quite a few races out of Mifflin. I see you did two USNS races in February, but I'm not sure which ones. I only started doing the USNS races four weeks ago, but in that timeframe February 14/21/22/28, and March 7/8 were all out of Mifflin or Appalachia. You can download and replay previous races from www.gliderracing.com. If the race was an AAT task, the top pilots (at least) will have .ftr or .icg files available, which you can use to replay the race in Condor. I've done that for a few races, and it was HIGHLY instructive to be able to replay the race while leeching off the eventual winners. A few gotchas about replaying the races: 1. You have to download the .fpl to your Condor\FlightPlans directory, and the (unzipped) .ftr/.icg files to your Condor\FlightTracks directory. 2. In the NOTAM tab of the flight, make sure you select any available flight tracks as ghosts. I like to change the "plane icon range" so I can reconnect with folks if I lose them, but in doing so I have to mess with the filters dropdown box to allow Condor to see the Ghosts. 3. I can't find a way to hurry the start, so you have to mill around the start area for a while before the ghosts begin their flights. I generally practice my start a few times, then start leeching the ghosts before they start. 4. I strongly suspect that the thermal model in Condor allows/encourages lower thermal hookups than in real life. I got my last thermal of the February 14th race below treetop level. If you intend to fly Mifflin in real life, be careful about Condor rewarding risky behavior . Cheers, -Mark Rebuck

i agree with your last point Mark but i'm also pretty sure the trees in condor are a LOT taller than real life trees