Old July 15th 03, 03:01 PM
Ron Natalie

"Slav Inger" wrote in message ...
It's been awhile since I flew VFR, and having taken a cursory look
through Part 61 I didn't see anything to the contrary, so I'm going to
throw this out and see what you guys think. It's my understanding that
I can take a VFR-only airplane on a local VFR trip with a PP-rated
safety pilot on board, wear foggles, shoot simulated instrument
approaches and log those approaches as instrument approaches AND log the
entire time as PIC. Correct or incorrect?

The only requirement to log instrument time is to fly the aircraft by reference
to instruments in simulated or actual conditions. There is no requirement
for the aircraft (or the pilot) to be rated for IFR (as long as they don't actually
operate under IFR).