Old March 5th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
alex8735

Default Wedekind Safety Sleeves

In my opinion Wedekind sleeves are more prone to mounting errors due
to their ease of use. After connecting the L'Hoteliers and snapping
back the Wedekind sleeves it is important to carefully check whether
the sleeve aktually covers the securing plate and then pull at the
fitting in opening direction. This is the only way to ensure a safe
connection!

Last year we had a serious accident at our club after the L'Hotelier
of the left aileron had disconnected. Ironically it was the Wedekind
sleeve of the disconnected aileron which caused it to jam, therefore
also blocking the connected aileron.

Generally L'Hoteliers are far from full proof an require carefull
handling. Wedekind sleeves are surely the easiest to use. I think the
LS-Sleeves which are screwed all the way over the connection are
probably the safest because they do no only stop the securing plate
from opening but secure the whole connection.