Old May 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default It only takes one...

Peter R. wrote:
On 5/1/2007 11:12:37 PM, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

I'm not arguing with the general point of your posting but I will take a
poke at your assertion about being outside of gliding range of the field.

Isn't this guideline based on the theory that there is a higher chance of
engine failure during changes in power settings? A reduction of power while
entering the pattern, I recall reading, presents a statistically higher
chance of engine failure than while at cruise.

Old Wives Tale might be more appropriate. Lycoming reported on this
theory and the one about running "oversquare" rpm/mp settings. It's on page
65 of this .pdf :

http://www.lycoming.com/support/tips...Operations.pdf

Anecdotally, I've known quite a few pilots that have experienced engine
failure over the years and the vast majority happened in cruise.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-1800