Old March 13th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default TOW PLANE Accident

So......is the country glider group a better info source of tug crashes
based on tow type or the country aviation group better?

What are the numbers.......????

Out of control is out of control. How on earth does tow position affect
this?

I doubt anyone would disagree with the "out of control" assertion; certainly
not me.

As to the trailing question, if we apply the concept "this" NOT to the "out of
control" bit, but to the "tow position" bit, then I suspect there may quite
possibly be some "useful insights" to be inferred from a "ballpark study" of
various countries' tow-fatalities-by-kiting rate.

I first learned of a fatal kiting crash ca. 1972 - before I obtained my
license - from a sheaf of Miles Coverdale's "Safety Corner" columns shoved at
me by my club's Chief Instructor, accompanied by a blunt, "Read these and tell
me what lesson your learn from them." The crash occurred at Heber City, UT,
ca. 1966...K-8 behind a Super Cub, IIRC. (I've become aware of a depressing
'minor stream' of 'em ever since.)

Terrified I wouldn't meet his expectations (he wasn't MY instructor), I read
the sheaf twice, all the while fretting I'd fail Jack's (the instructor) test.
Upon working up my nerve to return the handout, when Jack asked what I'd
learned, I (very tentatively) offered up words to the effect: Um...don't be
stupid? Most every crunch described seems-to-me to be mostly pilot error.
(Jack was pleased.)

Never seen any need to change that fundamental assessment.

That said, the only two countries known to me in which kiting fatalities have
occurred are the US and Great Britain (both 'above-the-wake' countries). I'm
unaware of any in Australia (Exclusively low tow?) or Germany/France (High
tow? Not every launch is by winch). I'm certainly open to further edification,
here.

With a nod to statistical analysis, I'm unconvinced *only* the US and Great
Britain train pilots who can't who can't remain in control while on high
tow...but I could be wrong! And - IF true - a complete absence of kiting
fatalities beginning from a position 'below the wake' *might* mean more than
'the US and Great Britain have a training/PIC problem no other countries' have.

I'd love to be further educated by those more knowledgeable than I regarding
tow-position-methodology taught in Germany and France, AND someone's
'reasonably-knowledgeable-thanks-to-longer-term-interest in such safety data'
take on Germsny's/France's aerotow fatality histories.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com