Old May 1st 08, 04:14 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Ron Lee[_2_]

Default SPOT should be ashamed

Pat Russell wrote:

Why, oh why, after recognizing the need to advance the state of the
art of Search and Rescue, after going to all the trouble and expense
of designing a clever low-cost device that can communicate with two
separate satellite services and the 911 infrastructure, after going to
all the trouble of determining an accurate fix in three dimensions,
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?

Got to tell you that I would be happy to report my Lat/long to
SAR assets. Anyone local would know if the elevation is 100' or
13,000' MSL.

Think of the number of folks who would be saved with something
like Spot.

If you want altitude look into APRS. Here is some info:

http://tinyurl.com/624vv6

Ron Lee