Old March 22nd 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Would this plane have flown?

A ferry permit could be issued for such a
condition and an inspection for range of motion, security,
etc signed of by an A mechanic and of course it would be
finally up to the pilot whether to fly. I would not want to
fly it IFR, most ferry permits only allow Day/VFR.

One of the reasons I didn't want to try for the permit is because I
just don't know what the procedure would have been, but I expect it
would have taken months. The initial inspection would have had to have
been done by an A&E and then approved by Mexico City. However, then
comes the custom's duties, etc. Finally, I'd need an A&P to look at it
before I entered the U.S. (or right after entering, I don't recall).
So I kept very, very quiet about it. I didn't tell the Mexicans about
it and didn't mention anything to U.S. customs.I believe that
technically both the A&P and I could have both been arrested since I
believe it is totally illegal for an A&P to do any major repair without
an A&E present.

I guess I got lucky that the guy who hit me had a sat phone on him.
Otherwise I would have been faced with the decision. Either fly it out
of there as-is or abandon the plane there.