Old March 22nd 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying Condor at Mifflin

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:01:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I am a beginner Condor pilot. If this post should be posted somewhere else please let me know. I would like to race at Mifflin on Condor about three days per week between now and the Sports Class Nationals. I would like short tasks that I could finish in about an hour and a half. I would like for the races to be within a 100 miles of Mifflin, but the tasks do not need to all start or finish at Mifflin.

Bill Snead

6W

yeah, be careful with this. Mifflin is an incredibly technical soaring site.. i would recommend condor for area familiarization, and route planning for ridge flights, and that's about it. Having flown both the mifflin scenery in condor and real life, i can tell you that your in for a different ball game. the transitions usually require more altitude, streeting along ridges plays a big part in tactics (but isn't present in condor) and your not likely to find thermals in the valleys below 1000ft.
the list goes on, i'll leave it at this: use condor to become acquainted with where you are, where you're going, and ridge routes. but please also discuss this with an expert, because there are a few intimidating areas in the contest site, and a few you shouldn't be in whatsoever.

-ND