Old January 25th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

Default Strap-on headlamps and their ilk

"Casey Wilson" wrote

I did some unsuccessful Googling to see if I could find one that will
clip onto the side or top of the headset. Anybody seen something like
that? (I did find the one that will clip onto the bill of a cap, but it
didn't seem like it would work on the headset.)

You might want to look at a type that gives more flexibility that the ball
cap type, or the headband type. I always found that the ability to move the
aiming point up and down was about the most important ability in a light of
this type, to get the light in the place where it needed to be, according to
where my bifocals "wanted" my head to be tilted.

Do you wear glasses? If you do, there is a small led that hooks onto the
temple of your eye glasses. If you don't, there is another style that has
an upper frame of eyeglasses, and has a ball joint adjustable light on each
side of the frame, and gives great aiming flexibility.

They should be about the right brightness for night operations. I have not
tried wearing the fake frame with my glasses, but that might still be the
best way to go, because of the better aiming system. The clip on style do
not have a ball joint, and you would have to improvise to get the best
aiming. I slipped a small piece of model airplane fuel tube over the
clamping system, to make them stay where I aimed them.

I got these at Lowe's hardware and lumber stores.

Another unrelated point, is a new type of light just out, available at
Lowe's.

I recently got a replacement bulb for my 3-D cell Maglight, that is a 3 watt
LED bulb! All I can say, is WoW! The brightness and purity of light and
evenness of pattern is hard to believe. It would make night pre-flights
much more "revealing."

I saw a day or two ago, that there is now a 3 watt LED flashlight now
available in a 3-AA model. I've got to get one of these babies! 3 watts is
an amazing difference if what you have ever seen in a flashlight.
--
Jim in NC