Old August 15th 04, 01:56 PM
Jay Honeck

In my own experience with American Greens, they oppose anything that
THEY don't do, while demanding outrageous privileges from government.
Example: $4 million to have a bicycle lane across the Dumbarton Bridge
in San Francisco Bay. Maybe three people a week use it.

Iowa City spent a hundred thousand dollars (or more) installing "bicycle
lifts" on the front of all city buses. These contraptions allow the bus
driver to stop, get out, and "easily" load a bicycle onto a rack mounted on
the front of the bus.

The Greens insisted that this would encourage the use of public
transportation (which has been a financial catastrophe here -- we could
literally buy each rider a car for less tax money), and rammed the issue
through our sheepish city council.

As most of us knew all along, they (like the buses) are rarely used --
thankfully. Each time they ARE used, the bus -- which, of course, must stop
at curbside, blocking the traffic lane -- sits for up to 5 minutes while the
poor driver wrestles the bike onto the rack.

I often wonder how much gas those 25 cars idling behind the bus are "saving"
thanks to the Greens.

But, of course, we're the idiots for letting them control the agenda...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA