Old July 26th 19, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:28:30 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 7/26/2019 7:44 AM:
Jeez much ado about nothing. Harold Eloy made multiple very long (for a 1-26) flights out of canada into North Dakota and beyond. If the perfect day materializes for a flight into canada I will go for it, talk to whoever I can get from ATC and deal with customs after the fact. Its much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission much of the time.

I suggest you research this choice before you use it. If it's not an emergency,
and you land in Canada or the USA without permission, they may not be very
forgiving. Confiscation of your glider seems a real possibility. My experience
with Customs (US and Canada) is they are often deeply offended by people that
don't follow the correct protocol, and it can expensive and time-consuming to deal
with them.

Technically we can declare any glider landout as an emergency. May require to follow up with paperwork, but may be better than dealing with custom...

Ramy