Old September 22nd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Flying in Mexico?

On Sep 21, 4:58 pm, James Robinson wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Judah wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Resser wrote:

I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas,
and was interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located
a GA airport nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal
renting? I'm a PPL from Europe...

Personally, I've never seen rental planes in Mexico. Most GA planes
down there have N numbers and are owned by Americans.

Or have no numbers and are not owned by anyone, according to the
records.

Where have you seen that? All fields in Mexico have heavy military
presence, it would be very, very difficult to have an unauthorized
aircraft in Mexico. Even when you land at remote dirt strips you are
always greeted by the military. My plane is much safer in Mexico than
in AZ (statistically).

As I recall, a few years back, one of the Unsers of autoracing fame had
his aircraft stolen in Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan, presumably by drug
courriers. It was turbocharged, and it seems the courriers have a liking
for turbos because of their high altitude field performance.- Hide quoted text -

There was a T210 that was stolen near Pheonix a couple years ago that
was in a locked hanger with a prop lock on it. The guy stole the plane
right out of the hanger. In the U.S. when you go out to your plane to
preflight no one comes up and asks you for ID and documentation.

-robert