Old August 8th 03, 02:38 AM
BTIZ

is an endorsement for High Performance, without reference to certain FAR
paragraph a valid endorsement?

There are a variety of different endorsements, two of which you seem
concerned:
FAR61.31(e), Complex, defined as Retractable Gear, Flaps and Controllable
Pitch Propeller (example, Piper Arrow 200HP, Beech Sundowner 200HP,
retractable Cessna Skylane 235HP (also requires High Performance)) or a
Seaplane without the retractable gear but has controllable pitch prop and
flaps

FAR61.31(f), High Performance, Engine with MORE THAN 200HP (example, Beech
Bonanza 285HP, Fixed Gear Skylane 235HP) all of which normally have retract
gear, prop and flaps

Also there is:
FAR61.31(g), Pressurized Aircraft at High Altitudes
FAR61.31(i), Tail Wheel aircraft
FAR61.31(j), Glider, for different launch methods

BT

"FryGuy" wrote in message
1...
I have a couple of questions that are unclear to me regarding being a

snip
2) What are the requirements for complex and high performance aircraft? I
thought that an endorsement was required for planes with retractable gear
and a adjustable prop and another for planes with a greater than 200
horsepower engine. In my log book I see an endorsement line for the HP
(there isn't a FAR reference though) but not for the complex. I looked up
"complex" in the FAR and could not find anything regarding this.

3) Ok, now the combination of the two. Lets say I do need an endorsment
for the complex/HP aircraft. Can I log time as the safety pilot in this
plane if I haven't yet gotten the endorsment for complex/HP? 91.109.b.2
says the safety pilot just needs to be a private pilot with the

appropriate
category and class ratings.