Old April 17th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Parental "informed consent" for underage glider flights

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:16:19 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
I was talking to a big fan of motocross about a 13 year old who became a quadriplegic after a motocross accident.

What is the difference between an adult consenting to taking the risks of flying and a parent assuming those risks for a child?

My dad let me do plenty of dangerous stuff when I was a kid, but he would occasionally draw the line and say no.

How do people sort this out?

When an adult asks me whether soaring is dangerous, I will tell them that I know of two cases in the last ten years where a person died on their first glider flight. No one has yet to cancel their plans when I told them that.

When someone asks me if soaring is dangerous I usually compare it to other forms of flying and various outdoor sports. Check with your insurance (Or your clubs insurance) about parental consent.