Old April 17th 13, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

Default Parental "informed consent" for underage glider flights

I fly out of Sky Sailing in Warner Springs, CA When I take any passengers they have to sign a release (link below from their website). I'm pretty sure it applies to anyone who climbs into one of their aircraft in any capacity. There is a part in there that says: "...I CERTIFY THAT I AM OVER THE AGE OF 18, OR WITH SIGNATURE OF GUARDIAN."

http://www.ravenhorde.com/skysailing...ELEASE_SSI.pdf

Used to be that folks took responsibility for their own decisions unless someone tried to hurt them intentionally. Now if someone trips on their own shoelace they want to blame someone else, and there's an army of lawyers waiting to take their case. I would suspect some kind of release is a pretty darn good idea these days.

BP

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:16:19 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I was talking to a big fan of motocross about a 13 year old who became a quadriplegic after a motocross accident.

What is the difference between an adult consenting to taking the risks of flying and a parent assuming those risks for a child?

My dad let me do plenty of dangerous stuff when I was a kid, but he would occasionally draw the line and say no.

How do people sort this out?

When an adult asks me whether soaring is dangerous, I will tell them that I know of two cases in the last ten years where a person died on their first glider flight. No one has yet to cancel their plans when I told them that.