Old January 6th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

Please think with me -

The argument that the wing has the same AoA for a given speed, only
applies in a homogeneous airmass.

Consider that lift generated is integrated over the wing as a function
of the local AoA, Airspeed, density etc. The geometric angle of the wing
to the flight path is constant (ignoring washout) So - what happens when
the airmass is not homogeneous. According to this explanation - there is
a constantly varying vertical motion that has negative maxima either
side of the tug centreline and positive maxima some distance outboard of
the tug wingtips. This is consistent with the known vortex patterns - so
I think we can accept this is true.

Then we have a constantly varying effective angle of attack on the wing.
Some parts of the wing are at a lower, and others at a higher AoA than
for the "homogeneous airmass" case. So that would mean that on an
untwisted glider wing we are seeing the wing exposed to an angle of
attack varying by 4 or more degrees. The wing load distribution would be
distorted by these local variations in vertical speed of the airmass.

This means that at 1g, over the inboard section of the wing will be
producing less lift than in a homogeneous airmass, and the outboard
parts more. Given the normal load distribution for a glider, it is
reasonable to assume that the inboard section normally accounts for a
disproportionate amount of the lift. So it becomes plausible that the
entire wing may be at a higher aerodynamic AoA for the speed, to produce
the 1g lift required. (More lift coming from low lift sections of the
outboard wing) More importantly the geometric angle to the flight path
will be probably around 3-4 degrees higher than would be the case in
undisturbed air.

Some further thought on possible sources for the need for up elevator.
All the types I have heard mentioned in the thread have polyhedral wings
with an aerodynamic sweep back due to the multi trapezoidal shape. If
the lift distribution is moved outboard then one assumes that the centre
of pressure will also move aft due to geometry of the wing. If so - this
will introduce a nose down moment.
Similarly,if the glider is at a higher AoA and the vertical downwash of
the tug wing passes over the glider tailplane and it will result in a
lower relative AoA for the elevator. So needing more "up" elevator input
to balance.

So it is then possible that local but predictable variation in vertical
air mass movement is responsible for this effect.

So it looks like the wing MAY in fact operate at a higher angle of
attack for some of it's span, and this would be in the aileron portion
of the span, making all sorts of interesting things happen with induced
drag and local stalling etc. Which would in turn make the glider feel
unresponsive and "mushy" - while not being close to a stall inboard.

If that were the case then logic says we should use a little more flap
and unload the outboard part of the wing. Is there any empirical
evidence to support that?

Am I making sense here?

Bruce

On 2011/01/06 3:13 PM, Paula Bold wrote:
On 06.01.2011 12:18, ProfChrisReed wrote:

Is there anyone who has actually stalled on tow unintentionally and
noted the airspeed when the stall occurred? I'd guess not, as the
pilot's attention would probably be elsewhere..

I never stalled a glider unintentionally in tow so far ....

... but I stalled intentionally different gliders in tow behind
aircrafts, TMGs and Microlights in order to find limitations within tow.
And I noted well the differences in behavior and speed.

Doug and Andreas made the right observations with the correct
explanation. You may as well read the studies of Christian Ueckert, DLR
or the studies of DASSU/Stoeckl regarding use of TMGs for towing.

Did you ever look at the main wing of a canard aircraft, like the VariEze?

You may even see the built-in twist in the main wing due to the
downdraft of the canard wing on some pictures.
http://www.aero-auktion.com/angebotd...lectlotid=1786

In tow we have the overall fluid dynamics of a canard aircraft
(neglecting the two stabilisers).

On http://www.desktop.aero/appliedaero/...ardprocon.html
you may find
"Wing twist distribution is strange and CL dependent: The wing
additional load distribution is distorted by the canard wake."
as a inherent disadvantage of all canard aircrafts.

... maybe we should start pushing our gliders into the air instead of
towing ....

PB

--
Bruce Greeff