Old November 1st 03, 08:02 AM
user

Hey Larry,
I'm kinda new in here and just beginning to learn the ropes. Very cool
group! The chugs were a huge annoyance, and about 2 years ago, the
wing came up with a standard procedure for troubleshooting the
compressor stall problem. Of course you had to use the trim box and
the borescope. You can relate to this:. It was a typical Naval
Aviation Maintenance evolution to have my mechs walk up and down the
flight line on a cold friday night begging, borrowing and stealing a
working power supply from one squadron and a power cord from another
and a working optical lens from another etc.to piecemeal together a
good borescope. It was a real pain in the ass. And there were only 13
trim boxes for 15 squadrons, ours was loaned out to a deployed
squadron so we had to borrow that too. Im sure you'll agree; the chug
problems were a minor annoyance compared to the 3 1/2 bearing fiasco
that started 2 years ago! (by the way, the Rock is my home and I love
it there, going back to Prowlers next year after I finish my sentence
in the desert here in Cali)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:26:29 -0800, "Larry"
wrote:

snip but modified to try and eliminate the "chugs", . .
That brings back MANY memories- We spent LOTS of nights out there on the
high-power line trying to duplicate that chug. Watchin the trim box, blow
out the PT-2 line, watch those pressures, trying to concentrate while
FREEZIN our asses off!

We called it "jam accell"- creep the throttle up and SLAM it to military,
slam it back down, then repeat about 250 times. Nope, were not going to
"A799" this one!

The high-power line was WAY out there between the runways at Whidbey.
MidRats never tasted so good after spending a few hours out on high-power!

Cold, dark, wet. The "Rock" was one of those places you either loved, or
hated.

Lots of memories.

Thanks, I *almost* forgot about that. Those were pretty good times-
definitely worth revisiting.