Old September 19th 03, 04:35 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message et...
In article ,
Paul Lee wrote:
Thinking of getting a Garmin GNC-430 and installing it in my experimental.
Is an external CDI required for the GNC-430 like it is for the 300XL?

(you mean GNS-430?)

My understanding is that you always need a CDI for IFR certification,
along with certain blinky indicators (which may be provided by the GPS
itself if it displays them (and the GNS-430 does) and it's close enough
to the primary nav instruments). The GNS-430 does have an onscreen
CDI-like display you could use alone in a VFR-only installation.

Of course, it's not clear what "IFR certification" is needed for homebuilts.
Most operating limitations say IFR is OK if the aircraft is equipped via
91.205. Since STC's aren't required for homebuilt installations (supplement
to what?)....