Old October 25th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Default Aircraft antennas

I would say it isn't the best idea. The silver coat used on the fabric
has tiny aluminum pieces for uV protection. Seems to me this would
somewhat shield the antenna and limit the signals into and out of the
antenna. Of course, in the real world, it would probably work.

Scott

Jim Carriere wrote:

ccwillwerth wrote:

Hi, I am about ready to cover my Cub type airframe, but need a place
to attach a com antenna. I was considering brazing a plate to the
airframe so that it would be just under the fabric. The antenna is
the type that has a ceramic insulator on the bottom of the antenna
that insulates the stainless steel antenna from the airframe. Does
the antenna need a large plate for a ground plane or will a small
plate be sufficient? If a ground plane is required, can the copper
foil tape be used on the inside of the fabric as the ground plane?

Please excuse my "piggybacking" your question, can anyone with an
informed opinion weigh-in on this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nnasystems.php

You put it inside a tube and fabric structure. Seems like a good idea
at first glance...