Old September 25th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Some tailwheel questions/comments

Little Endian wrote in news:1190700037.145345.27050
@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

This weekend I began my tailwheel endorsement endeavor and had a
lesson in a shiny 160 hp Citabria. It was great fun but the stick and
rudder forces seemed pretty heavy compared to the C-150 I am used to.
The trim was in an unfamiliar position and I didn't get used to using
it enough on the first flight perhaps. However are there tailwheels
that are lighter to handle than the citabria?
The other issue I was wondering about: does the position of the CG
shift when the tail is raised? So is the tailwheel more stable while
taxing at a higher speed on the two front wheels? In other words, I am
wondering if a tailwheel taxing with the tail raised has a similar CG
position to a tricycle gear airplane.

Not really, and I'd be surprised if you could taxi a Citabria with the
tailwheel raised anyway. Easy in a cub, though.

The problem with the Citabria is it's a bit too easy for tailwheel
conversion. You'll get the basics, but if you try a cub afterwards you'll
find it significantly more difficult, wheras the other way around would be
a piece of cake. Citabria is a good airplane, but it's not the best
tailwheel trainer for that reason. However, it will certainly do in a
pinch!
The CG doesn't change significantly when the tail is raised, though, to
answer your question, and fast taxiing is something best left to someone
with a LOT of tailwhel time. Taxiing on the mains is something best left to
airshow pilots or guys that can afford to replace props as easily as they
would buy a cup of coffee.
Now ask me how I know this.

Bertie