Old September 25th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Some tailwheel questions/comments

john smith wrote in news:46f8f93b$0$17147
:

In article . com,
Little Endian wrote:

This weekend I began my tailwheel endorsement endeavor and had a
lesson in a shiny 160 hp Citabria. It was great fun but the stick and
rudder forces seemed pretty heavy compared to the C-150 I am used to.
The trim was in an unfamiliar position and I didn't get used to using
it enough on the first flight perhaps. However are there tailwheels
that are lighter to handle than the citabria?
The other issue I was wondering about: does the position of the CG
shift when the tail is raised? So is the tailwheel more stable while
taxing at a higher speed on the two front wheels? In other words, I am
wondering if a tailwheel taxing with the tail raised has a similar CG
position to a tricycle gear airplane.

One has to wonder if this is a troll.

Might be, but students often get ideas like this in their heads. might be
because they have vivid imaginations, but it's more likely they've been
listening to the guy who's been hanging around the airport, talking about
the day he's going to get that Pitts (just waiting for the right one to
come along, there;s so much junk around) Almost never flies and causes a
ruction in the pattern every time he does and tells tales of his derring do
that he's ripped off from "I learned about flying from that" in the
collection of 1950s Flying magazines he bought at a yard sale.

You know the guy I mean! There's one at every airport and he'd be most
useful as a chock if he had enough brains to lie still.

Bertie