Old July 6th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Welding: Recovering from a poor joint.

Morgans wrote:
"mhorowit" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been given a patched landing gear. The weld looked like
bubblegum had been stuck to it and there were little pits where any
metal that had flowed, didn't flow around that impurity. I asked my
A&P if the embedded impurities hadn't been an issue, could I simply
remelt the joint and cause it to flow into the base metal? He
replied because there was so much 'joint' there, heating it up to
molten could cause more harm. He recommended I grind as much of the
old weld off as possible.

I have an angle grinder and a grinder wheel for it. I can get to the
weld, but even if I jig the work, it's going to be awkward to grind
with this tool.

Anyone have any suggestions how this might be made to go smoother? -

You might try a die grinder, with an angle grinder cutting wheel fit onto
it, if the angle part of the angle grinder is getting in the way. g

I've stuck larger cutoff wheels on my angle grinder to get deep in some
corners. Scary as hell, but it did what I needed.