Old March 16th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW-12 Proto Question

Flying the 12 was never a problem. It is very docile,much like the AS-
W17. It did give me "aileron elbow" due to the large, powerful
ailerons. It was easy to fling about like a 15m ship but you paid for
it. I asked Wil Schuemann how he dealt with the issue and he said
"don't turn". Wisdom.

I have never been more "awake" than when landing the 12. Holding a
rudder-stalled, nose-high slip down through the flair was nerve
wracking. The only thing worse was not doing so.

I appreciate the design philosophy of all-out performance that
inspired a passionate young designer to build such a machine. The
Concordia with its leading edge technology and design, its balsa core
and planked fuselage is very reminiscent of the 12.