Old September 17th 05, 05:36 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , W P Dixon says...

Maybe one of the things the FAA needs to take a look at is the cost they add
into "making" a new airplane. If the idea was to make sport pilot a more
affordable way to fly, and the certification process keeps it out of reach
..then it isn't doing anything. The common man still will have a hard time
affording it. SNIP

One thing not mentioned in this discussion is the cost for the increased
liability placed on a company selling ready to fly airplanes. I wonder what the
percentage of the cost of these planes is insurance? Experimental airplanes have
a layer of protection in that the customer did the building and is the
manufacturer of the airplane. The fact you have a compliance certificate doesn't
offer much protection.Actually look at certified planes does being certified
keep you as a manufacturer safe from being sued? We all know the answer to that
one.
Insurance just may be another element in the cost of these planes. Just my .02
worth.

See ya

Chuck S