Old April 13th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Circle to Land @ KRBG

The "circle" can be done in many ways, the limitation on the
sector because of obstacle clearance not withstanding.

If the weather was as good as you say, there is no
prohibition on operating under IFR and VFR at the same time,
the approach clearance is a clearance to operate in the
protected airspace, just follow the IFR rules while in IMC
and when in VMC, fly safely.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Al" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

| You can always request a contact approach and fly any
| altitude and path including the normal VFR pattern and
still
| be "on an IFR clearance." If you are working for an
| operator who does not allow cancellation of IFR, then it
is
| up to the PIC to determine the method required to comply
| with IAP and VFR traffic pattern. Read about a "contact
| approach" and if you're making an approach that will
require
| circling, and there is VFR traffic, advise ATC that you
will
| be requesting a contact approach when you at in VMC
| conditions.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|

| 5-4-23. Contact Approach
|
| a. Pilots operating in accordance with an IFR flight plan,
provided they are
| clear of clouds and have at least 1 mile flight visibility
and can
| reasonably expect to continue to the destination airport
in those
| conditions, may request ATC authorization for a contact
approach.

| As I mentioned in the amendment to the OP, the King Air
broke out at
| 2000msl, and from there had no comm with center. I think
he was stuck with