Old November 5th 20, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Sticking altimeter

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 12:46:55 -0800, Kenn Sebesta wrote:

My altimeter in my AC-5M is sticking. It works fine when the engine is
on or when you tap on the window, but otherwise when gliding it gets
stuck up to 100' worth. I suspect that a rebuild will cost as much as a
new one will, so I'd rather go the route of fixing it myself (or
replacing it with something with added functionality).

Any suggestions on fixing it?

If you're flying in a dusty place and don't have any filters fitted, i.e.
the port in the back of the altimeter is open to cockpit air, could it
have got dust or smoke in it?

If you have an instrument maintainer handy, ask them about the necessity
and cost of servicing.

I'm in the UK, so not much dust in the air here. My altimeter hasn't
misbehaved in the 15 years I've had the glider. For that matter I suspect
it was installed when the glider was new, 51 years and several owners ago.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org