Old November 6th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Sticking altimeter

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 2:07:40 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Kenn Sebesta wrote on 11/5/2020 12:46 PM:
My altimeter in my AC-5M is sticking. It works fine when the engine is on or when you tap on the window, but otherwise when gliding it gets stuck up to 100' worth. I suspect that a rebuild will cost as much as a new one will, so I'd rather go the route of fixing it myself (or replacing it with something with added functionality).

Any suggestions on fixing it?

That sounds like normal operation for a mechanical altimeter; certainly for the ones I've
owned. Use an electronic altimeter to avoid the sticking. A lot of varios and flight computers
have the altitude function in them. My next glider will have one of these in it - no sticking,
lots of extra functionality, and replaces 3 instruments!

https://wingsandwheels.com/lxnav-airdata-indicator.html

ACD Air Avionics Altimeter and more.

http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm

IN Stock.