Old June 7th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Letter to the FAA

How many fatal accidents attributable to a Schweizer hook failure to
release in a kiting situation would it take to have you on my side?
One? Two? Five?

If that is your logic recreational flight is not defensible. We average half dozen glider pilot fatalities in the US per year. Are you going to write a letter about that? Being a tow pilot, even with an Elmira Death Hook, is safer than being a glider pilot. If it is worth it to get the FAA involved to save towpilots it would be hypocritical and morally wrong not to get the FAA involved in saving glider pilots.