Old September 7th 04, 03:59 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Dude" wrote in message
I am no math weenie, but I read an article once than basically said that
climbing higher always pays off, no matter the distance. In other words,
level cruise was less efficient than a plan where top of climb was the

same
as the beginning of the descent.

I can't prove it though, so I will leave it up for debate like you.

I've thought about this when paying tach time for a rental...climbing full
rpm
which isn't too far over the 1 tach hour = 1 clock hour mark but uses lots
of fuel (highish MP, but you don't get to see it on a fixed pitch machine
usually). Then you pull to idle to descend...1 tach hour = maybe 3 clock
hours. So you pay less! :-) Don't suppose it does the engine and fuel bill
much good though.

Paul