Old April 20th 04, 07:39 AM
fw.unt

"Duane Eisenbeiss" wrote in message news:HFIgc.24675$0b4.31395@attbi_s51...
There is a new Service Bulletin on the Blanik L-23 that requires
Magnafluxing the "U" shape bracket that connects the two elevator halves.
The bracket on our ship had 3 cracks. If you have a Blanik L-23 and have
not had it checked would suggest you do so. Losing half an elevator you
might still have control. Losing both halves would probably be parachute
time.

For those that have had the check, are cracks being found?

Duane

Hi

We use the L-23 since 1992 for 'building pilots'! For this job it is
the best thing you can have - cheap, handy on the ground to push back.
Right, the sits are horrible, but if you take one of those nice
special cushions under you buttom you can fly 5 hours (I made it
once). I have about 400 landings as an instructor - but really folks
if you want to fly long time and long distance there are better stuff
around - ASK-21 or DuoDiscus or the big size Nimbus 3 etc. are more
comfortable and with good performance.
We had an L-13 for 30 years before and as I see the L-23 wouldn't
receive this age. Maybe the T-tail is one reason. We also had to
invest more work in this plane like mentioned above; it's not that
robust like the L-13.
But I think that we would do it again to buy a L-23 for instruction.

Regards.