Old February 14th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

Jim Stewart wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:
In rec.aviation.student Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.
Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps.
But feel free to try and let me know the outcome.

Not if you and your airplane are massless.

But then you get into the Ultralight regulations on speed.