Old October 10th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PMSC Member

Default AT, TAT, MAT?

On Oct 9, 11:23*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

Does anyone know of any good books or articles on the nuts-and-
bolts */ common-strategies of how to fly the various competition task
types?

I'm still waiting on my copy of Winning II, but Reichmann and
Brigliadori don't really touch on these and the competition rules only
define what the tasks ARE, not how to approach flying them...

I haven't yet been able to find any good reading material (other than
the SRA 2005 Comp Guide) on how to approach the different task types -
anyone have any recommendations?

BTW, I've read some of the different rules documents, and it may be
that I don't fully understand the scoring system... the big question-
marks in my mind relate to speed points vs. distance points, and their
trade-offs. *For example: when is it worthwhile to push for extra
distance, even if it might hurt the average speed you have going (so
far) during a task?

Thanks, take care,

--Noel

For first contest, I would recommend keeping it simple and putting
most of your effort into good flying and developing a system that puts
you, your glider and everything you need on the grid at grid time
(checklists). No running around chasing after forgotten cockpit
miscellany. As far as tasks, concentrate on 1) valid starts &
finishes, 2) valid turn points, 3) staying out of airspace, if any, 4)
avoid under time penalties on TAT and MAT. Practice programming tasks
into PDA so you can see the layout of the area tasks (quite helpful).
Be extremely wary about "knicking" turnpoints -- the number of pilots
who have scored a clean miss on a 30 mile diameter turn area might
surprise you! That and good flying will make you competitive at
regional level. Good luck!

-T8