Old December 25th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sailplane Finishes

On Dec 24, 8:11*pm, Buba Smith wrote:
Just wondering about peoples experience with various refinish products
for sailplanes. I am going to refinish parts of my glider over the
next couple of off seasons. Right now I am leaning toward using an
Acrylic Urethane from PPG and a polyester filler. I am familiar with
Simtec Prestec. I have noticed more and more shops and manufacturers
using Urethane products instead of, or on top of, Gelcoat. There are
some reputable people and shops who still use Prestec. I am interested
in comments and experiences with these products from the soaring
community.
With regards to the health issues, I have access to a professional
booth and wear the full suit and mask with fresh air. Thanks for any
input.
R4

The skill level required is much less with "gelcoat'. It is much
easier to fix mistakes.
Prep for paint needs to be really good as there isn't much paint and
sanding out mistakes is trickier. Gelcoat is more tolerant.
AU costs about twice as much for material.
AU more weather resistant. If glider is going to live outside, it is
the thing to use.
Both can give a finish with a useful life exceeding 15 years on a
refinish.
FWIW- I've done both.
The glider I'm doing now will be in Simtek 2481.
Good luck
UH