Old September 11th 03, 05:11 PM
Shaber CJ

Autorotations are a essential part of helicopter training. It would be nice
if they could be done away from a busy traffic pattern. At Centennial
Airport (KAPA) the helo guys do their autorotations to a section of isolated
ramp well away from the normal traffic patterns. That seems to work well
for everybody.

Bill, I agree that an airport with an isolated area is best but many airports
do not have that available. "Can't we just get along"? Gliders fly different
precedures than powered fixed wing, a helicopter is different than either.
What is normal? Autos are normal for helicopters. Many times a glider cannot
taxi off the runway, that is not normal, for powered traffic. For a helicopter
Fly a pattern cleared to land and do an auto. A helicpter can clear the
pattern faster. In the case of the accident in question, the helicopter should
not be doing an auto while aircraft are taking off, were all the radio calls
made? Did the helicopter call that he was in the pattern and the glider tug
took off anyway? I know an airport in the west where the tow planes do not
have radios and the landing (other than tow planes) traffic is required to call
122.8 for landing while the gliders call 123.3 in the pattern. I never thought
that was very safe but there has never been a landing accident.

Craig