Old October 30th 03, 09:53 AM
Andrew Warbrick

At 08:06 30 October 2003, Tango4 wrote:
In this case the NTSB is wrong!

With the elevator disconnected the run of the control
rods are not connected
to the flying surface. Therefore the mass balance of
the system is different
to that which was certified, the trim system is also
disconnected!
Definately *not* the same as just removing the pilots
hand from the stick!

Mind the flaps are the major pitch control in the ASW20,
the elevator is there more for fine adjustment. A number
of pilots have produced 'landings' using the flaps
for pitch control in 20's with disconnected elevators.

:-)

PS: I'll bet that they don't comment on whether having
the mainpin in or not
makes the aircraft *flyable* either!

Strange you should mention that. I understand that
a long time ago someone took a Libelle for a local
soaring flight and after a while became uncomfortable.
After loosening his straps and having a fish around
he produced the main pin, the only thing holding the
wings together was friction on the spigots. I believe
that some very gentle well co-ordinated flying ensued
and he landed without incident.

'nowhere' wrote in message
om...
Yes, according to Peter Garrison's 'Aftermath' column
in the November
issue of 'Flying' you don't need to connect your elevator
control! I
quote: 'the NTSB report does not comment on the fact
that a
disconnected elevator does not make an ASW-20, or
for that matter any
other airplane, unflyable. The situation is aerodynamically
no
different from what occurs when the pilot removes
his hand from the
stick.'

I think I'll start leaving the elevators off my ASW-15
now. Imagine
how the reduction in drag will improve the performance!
Not having to
worry about pitch control will certainly cut down
on the cockpit
workload as well. The benefits are endless!