Old July 15th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default flaps

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:38:14 -0700, Jay Honeck
wrote:

Spend an hour or two landing on the numbers with the stall horn squalling.

It's funny how much easier this was to do when I was renting
airplanes. Heck, I'd routinely drag it in at minimum forward air
speed and plunk it on the numbers, just to see how short I could land.

This should be a part of every ones practice.

When you own an aircraft -- especially one with a big, heavy 6-
cylinder engine that is slightly nose-heavy -- you think twice before
"practicing" such things. Tires, struts, brakes, firewalls, props,

Nope, not even with a Beech retract. I'd probably do two (or more) of
these about every time I'd go out and practice. After about the
second one I'd find the "airport bums" (group I hang out with) hanging
on the fence, grading the landings.

and engines all become HUGE impediments to "practicing" landings with
the stall horn squalling, since you're paying for them all.

I bought 'em to use and I used them to lean both the limits of the
airplane and myself.

This post, IMHO, above all else, is a real tribute to the utility of
manual, Johnson-bar flap actuators. Hard to miss when THOSE don't
work.

When I add flaps I look at them. It's become a habit.
OTOH the Johnson bar flaps in the Cherokee 180 could make for a very
impressive, short roll out after a STEEP descent.

:-)