Old December 30th 04, 03:51 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:38:48 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" wrote:
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:08:13 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

Is there anyone here who has gone through the process of getting an
airworthiness certificate for a homebuilt aircraft as an experimental,
exhibition in group IV?

Jim Pratt might be able to give you some help. He's got a sample of
Exp/Exhib operations limitations:

Thanks. I have already been shown my draft operating limitations, and
they're pretty much the same as his, except that I may be required to do
more test flight hours (way above the guidelines, which I have already told
them I object to). What I really want to talk about with someone who has
already gone through this is what the FSDO folks asked for during the
process, what roadblocks people have run into and how they were surmounted,
etc.

I flipped through my registration database and came up with three BD-5s with
Experimental/Exhibition licensing. The only names actually listed were Michael
Watkins of Temecula, CA, and Dave "Hammer" Harris, a fellow Seattle-area EAAer.
I've got an email address for Harris, if you haven't talked to him already.

Another possibility would be Classic Fighter Industries in Everett,
Washington... they're the folks scratch-building the ME-262s. Dave Hammer (no,
NOT the same guy as "Hammer" Harris) is in charge. The outfit has a "contact"
page at:

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/common/contact.htm

I also took a general look at all the Experimental/Exhibition category aircraft.
Homebuilt types popped up to some extent. Several of the recent Wright Flyer
replicas are in this category, 'though I suspect the owners didn't worry about
trying to get loose limitations. The Europa folks had three Exp/Exh planes;
maybe there's still someone you can talk to at Lakeland.

BTW, I'm presuming you're shooting for Experimental/Exhibition so the BD-5 can
be used for airshow work....

Ron Wanttaja