Old March 14th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Default Any user reports on Delorme Inreach?

Hi Steve,

I'm an iPhone user so aside from some tests on a borrowed android device during Beta, I only ever currently use it in stand-alone mode and can't really speak to the pairing problems or inbound messaging.

I think you pretty much need to be on the $25/mnth plan to get the level of functionality we are all used to with Spot. You can change plans if you have an off season, but generally speaking for Glider Pilot needs, it is roughly twice the cost of a Spot subscription with tracking.

If spot just added GPS Altitude to their message, they'd pretty much have everything we need in the Spot2 package and really altitude is just nice for when you're on the sidelines watching someone fly from your office.

Morgan

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:28:53 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thank you Morgan. Some reviewers on Amazon have had negative remarks
about the cell phone pairing process as well as some negative remarks
about the ability to reliably receive inbound text messages. Any
observations in those areas?

Maybe one way to keep the subscription cost down might be to buy the
low end $10/mo subscription and not use the tracking every 10
minutes. Instead sending occasional track reports by pushbutton say
after leaving a thermal or when low. Is it possible to send
individual track reports or do they have to be at the programmed
intervals?

The other way to keep the subscription cost down would be to change
from the $25/mo to the $10/mo mode in the off-season. Of course, here
in AZ there isn't much off-season.