View Single Post
Old October 29th 14, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Where is the LX S80?

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:22:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:07:05 AM UTC+11, Mike the Strike wrote:
The issue with horizontal gusts is that if you fly into a thermal outflow (quite common where they are strong and dry), it temporarily increases your airspeed. The TE probe outputs a signal that interprets this increase in aircraft energy as lift. There is no acceleration, just an increase in energy. The seat of your pants may well be able to sense the lack of acceleration in this circumstance, but sensitive accelerometers will be even better.

Mike

I know what a horizontal gust is, and what causes it,and I am aware that it results in a false reading of lift on the vario.
You are missing my point entirely. Despite what the vario is indicating, if you cannot feel a vertical acceleration, then it is simply not there, and you can ignore the vario. No need for a complex algoriths or hardware. You already have a sensitive accelerometer refined over millions of years: use it.

You are missing my point entirely. A horizontal gust causes actual, real, measurable, and "feelable" vertical acceleration. Ignoring the vario entirely, how can you differentiate it from that acceleration caused by a vertical gust? You cannot without additional information - vertical acceleration is vertical acceleration.