Old November 4th 03, 05:19 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I was told that Eric Hamill when he was on the staff of the London Club,
Dunstable once did a complete circuit in a 150hp Super Cub without touching
the stick, to see if he could. Done of course on throttle, flaps, trim and
rudder. He was very, very current at the time.

I also heard that a Booker pilot of a 180hp Super Cub found himself with no
elevator control because of a failure in the elevator circuit, and got it
down safely.

Long live the aerodynamic trim!

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"John Firth" wrote in message

There was a story in S&G some years ago about a ASW 20 successfully landed
without damage by use of flap changes; the pilot had read the manual.
Following the fatal crash of a Cessna 150/150 hp two plane, due to
a burned through elevator cable, two of us tow pilots experimented
with pitch trim on the Citabria. We concluded that a good landing is
possible (one that you walk away from) with use of trim and power. No we
did not try a landing.

Here is a reason for buying a ship with aerodynamic trim, not just
a spring on the stick.

John Firth,
Ottawa