Old March 27th 05, 06:33 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote:

vincent p. norris postulated :

My son-in-law, who was in the Navy about 30 years ago, mentioned at
dinner today that the guy who graduated #1in his platoon at Marine
boot camp was given a set of blues, free.

I think that's an urban legend. It certainly wasn't the case when I
went through Parris Island in 1946.

Was it done at San Diego?

Anyone know?

Thanks. vince norris

It was true the summer of 1955 when I went through PI.
(Damn; almost 50 years ago !)

OK, fellow Jarheads, I'm bringing in the big guns on this. Just
sent a query off to Leatherneck Magazine - those guys are good
at this sort of USMCiana, and we'll get to the bottom of it yet.
Chapter and verse, I'd warrant. Right now I'd guess the honor
man dress blues award was a post-Korean War thing, and we know
from Vince that they weren't doing it immediately after WWII
[prolly 'cause the USMC had more worries, with Truman/Johnson
trying to shut them down], so lets see what the Leatherneck
memory/trivia banks come up with.
--
OJ III