Old April 21st 05, 08:54 AM
Stefan

George Patterson wrote:

What's insurance like over there?

At the moment, liability insurance requirements for aircraft up to 2
tons MTOW is around 3 Million dollars (approximately). This may or may
not change in the future, but I tend to think it won't. For heavier
airplanes, it is higher. This includes third party liability (if you
fall onto your neighbour's house, or more realistically, if you taxi
into your neighbour's plane) and passenger injury liability on private
flights. Passengers on commercial flights is another story.

This is about the same as for cars. In Europe, cars are required to have
liability insurance when they are moved on public roads. I think this is
a good idea.

To fully appreciate these numbers, you should bear in mind that
liability in Europe is just this, liability. It pays the expenses, and
that's it. Not 10 millions because your dog can't sleep anymore.

(Because I know absolutely nothing about the US legal system, I feel
sufficielntly qualified to express it like this: We don't have
dunderhead liability laws nor dunderhead juries who pay millions to any
dunderhead guy who burnes his mouth because nobody told him that coffee
usually tends to be hot.)

Stefan