Old April 21st 05, 09:23 AM
Stefan

G Farris wrote:

I think it's true, even obvious, that the cost of flying in Europe is the main
reason why there are relatively few who take it up.

Of course flying cost much more in Europe than in the USA. Roughly said,
VFR on light singles cost twice as much. But I don't think cost is the
main reason. It is one of several reasons. Those who really want to fly
usually can manage it. (OTOH, twins or IFR are out of the range for most
people.)

I don't think it's ridiculous to say the authorities in France are "killing"
general aviation. Many - probably most - private pilots in France feel this
way, and it's clearly expressed in the aviation press.

Don't believe everything that's written in the press, even aviation
press. Yes, regulations are tight. Airspace in Europe is very congested,
and it has been a political decision that commercial aviation gets
priority. But nobody wants to "kill" something.

There is also an attitude difference in pilots. Many Europeans are more
oriented toward leisure flying,

Exactly. Private flying here is mostly recreational flying. And as such,
costs are looked at with another view. Do I prefer to spend 5'000 for
flying or do I prefer to go skiing with my family? This decision pushes
out all those who don't *really* want to fly.

On the other hand, don't forget that soaring is much more popular here
than in the USA. When you look at flying as a recreational hobby, then
soaring is much more rewarding than motorized flight (and cheaper, too).
There is a healthy soaring community in most parts of Europe, but
especially in France.

Stefan