Old December 11th 20, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Default Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

While I never had the pleasure of meeting James Oroc, I know many of his gang.
I'm fairly sure he was well hydrated, on O2, had all the safety gear, had a plan ,was flying with a group, was very very experienced in BIG AIR, was living the dream; going XC in Nevada with friends on a booming day.
I was a Paraglider pilot.
While they have come a long way in safety and design, that fact of the matter is Paragliders do ALL sorts of bizarre incontrollable things, that even top rated pilots cannot control as James well knew and experienced. They are kept in place by very low pressure ram air. You are not physically attached to them, you are hanging by strings, very strong strings but strings never the less.
They suffer from collapses, half folds, line failure, Its a long list of crazy sh*t those things can do.
They often ball up in turbulence. Alot of pilots have 2 back up reserve chutes.
But there fun as hell to fly and very easy to learn. There very fun to thermal when their inflated.
For his friends and family I'm glad he was found.
Fly safe in 2021
Nick